Monday, June 01, 2009

Let the cutting begin...

So Saturday was a big day for me. I spent a few hours working on the Ford over at Lavery's shop and luckily my buddy Chris was there to provide some motivation. I got the rear window removed from the car and we got the gas tank out without too much trouble then the fun began. I have had plans to french the tail lights with some custom stainless steel bezels that I purchased from the HAMB, but didn't think I had the know how. Well Chris said let's go for it so go for it I did. It was a little nerve racking cutting into your own car for the first time. I just keep thinking what if I mess this up...am I going to ruin the whole car??

So I started by sanding the paint off the tail lights.


Next I actually cut out the opening to make room for the new bezels.


After a little clean up with a grinder it was time to place the new bezels. I had James hold it in place so I could take a good look and make sure they were level then Chris tack welded them into place.


While we were at it I decided to remove the pinch seam on the body where the rear quarter panel is attached to the body so I had to grind the seam down to expose the joint and weld it back together.


Chris finished welding the bezel in place and then I started sanding down the welds to smooth everything out.


Once Chris tacked the 2nd bezel in place I took over the welder and went to town securing it in place. I still have some smoothing to do and finish welding up the body seam but overall I'm pretty happy with how it's turning out and a great learning experience.

2 comments:

Redcrow said...

{^_^}

Jennifer said...

Its neat to see the work in progress!